Continuo seeks Expressions of Interest
from Victorian composers
The Continuo Commissioning Circle is an annual initiative that offers the successful candidate the financial support to create a new work, developed in collaboration with a Victorian-based chamber ensemble.
Continuo Community believes in the transformative power of chamber music; its life-affirming storytelling ignites an individual curiosity and imagination in performers and listeners alike. These shared experiences are the driving force behind Continuo’s mission to support the creation of new chamber music works and the musicians who bring them to life.
The closing date for composers to submit Expressions of Interest (EOIs) for the 2022 Continuo Composer was 30 April 2022. If you are interested in applying for a future commission, please read the guidelines below.
APPLICATION AND REQUIREMENTS
Applicants are required to provide a completed application form, Curriculum Vitae, a 250-word (maximum) description of proposed work, a letter of support/statement of commitment from the nominated chamber ensemble and two examples of prior work (scores and audio recordings for each work).
Applicants should consider the instrumentation, preferred length of work, venue access, budget, availability, and musical mission of their nominated ensemble before applying. The application should reflect these considerations.
If you require assistance in partnering with a local chamber ensemble, email Continuo at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ensembles may include but are not limited to, piano trio, string trio, wind trio, piano quartet, wind quartet, piano quintet, wind quintet, string quartet, string quartet and instrumentalist and other mixed ensembles.
$4,000 AUD (excl. GST)
Applications will be assessed by a panel comprising CCC’s director and selected leading instrumentalists and composers.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their submission.
- Payment will be made upon delivery of completed score and parts.
To find out more
- Read about Continuo – click on Who, What, Why and How
- Contact Continuo directly, please email email@example.com
- Find us on Facebook www.facebook.com/continuo to stay updated
- Subscribe to our mailing list for regular updates
- 1 March 2022 – Applications Open
- 30 April 2022 – Applications Close
- 31 May 2022 – Successful applicant announced
- Completed Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae, including details of composition experience (including recent commissions and performances).
- Two recent scores, uploaded as attachments.
- Links to two recordings of recent works.
- 250-word description of the proposed work and what you hope to gain from this experience.
- Letter of support – written and signed by partner ensemble.
Completed EOI’s must be submitted by 30 April 2022 using the online Commissioning Circle Application Form.
Selection criteria for Expressions of interest (EOIs) for Continuo Commissioning Circle 2022.
Applications close 30 April 2022. EOIs submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
To be considered an EOI must:
- demonstrate a high-level of artistic merit and contribution to new Australian chamber music.
- be from a composer based in Victoria, Australia.
- be performed within Victoria.
- detail the proposed composition.
- be supported by a Victorian-based chamber ensemble.
- outline how the opportunity will further the creative practice of both parties.
- have a registered ABN or equivalent.
- be completed and performed within 12 months of the commission date.
- agree to publicise and market the premiere performance via the composer’s and ensemble’s own networks and media platforms.
- agree to use the supplied CCC templates, logos and branding for all event related promotion.
- comply with COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions in Victoria as directed by the government of Victoria.
Continuo reserves the right to reject an application where:
- there is a conflict of interest with the CCC objectives, partners or supporters.
- there isn’t sufficient evidence to show the application deliver to the standards expected.
- the EOI does not comply with the selection criteria.
- Successful ensembles must agree to:
- include the CCC logo and/or name and acknowledge Continuo on all event communications and promotions.
- encourage ticket sales through their own marketing and social media platforms
- the use of any audio or visual recordings of the premiere performance on the Continuo website and social platforms.